Universities Portal

Universities Portal serves as a platform for all the students from around the world, who are willing to pursue their higher education in a university of their choice.  Our team consists of faculty members, alumni and students from prestigous universities.  

Why to study in United States?

USA is the world’s fourth largest country by area and third largest by population, it’s a world leader across the fields of business, technology and scientific development. Its immense global influence also extends into the cultural domain, thanks to the continued strength of exports such as the Hollywood film industry, along with swathes of successful international retailers and brands.

More than 886,000 international students currently study in the US on bachelors, masters and doctoral degree programs, across 50 states and one federal district. That might sound like a lot of international students to accommodate, but this vast nation is certainly not short on space, either in terms of acres or degree-granting institutions, of which there are around 4,500. Combining quality with quantity, the US claims an impressive 154 entrants 2015/16 – giving it significantly more internationally ranked universities than any other nation (next closest is the UK, with 71).

The country’s high quality of living comes with relatively low living costs (especially in the context of other similarly developed nations), while it’s resilient economy offers promising employment prospects, both during studies and post-graduation.
Finally, the sheer range of programs available, and the thousands of funding opportunities for excellent candidates are two of the main reasons for the popularity of study in the US.
Higher education in USA

USA is the third most popular destination among international students in the world. It is estimated that around 4% of the overall US student population are internationals, and at graduate level this percentage rises to as much as 15%. USA is an attractive place to study and their university degrees are highly respected by employers worldwide. There are two main types of higher education institution in the US: private universities and public universities. While many of the best-known US universities – including the eight prestigious ‘Ivy League’ institutions – are private, there are also plenty of high-performing public universities, such as the University of Los Angeles, California (UCLA) and the University of Michigan. In practice, the experience (and cost) of studying in either the public or private sector is likely to be similar.

Choosing the right type of university largely comes down to what you would like to study. USA is home to around 425 higher education institutions. Together, these universities offer a total of over 18,000 degree programs.
Admission requirements & Application

To start your application to study in the US, you will need to apply directly to each of the universities you’re interested in.  There are different ways to apply for admission to a US university. The application procedure depends on which subject you would like to study and where you come from. Requirements and application deadlines can vary from university to university, and even from degree programme to degree programme.

Remember that athletic recruitment and sports scholarships follow a slightly different timeline to regular applications, so it’s worth checking the application deadlines early (1-1 ½ years before enrolment) to avoid missing out. If you are accepted you’ll be entered into an international student database called the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), and sent a copy of the information stored on this, which you will need to check for accuracy.

It’s important to ensure that you pay the application fee (the SEVIS I-901 fee) for this database service, which will be US$200. A few universities also allow international students to apply for free online. The university will then provide you with a Form I-20 to present to the US embassy when you attend your visa interview.

Applying for undergraduate studies
Entry requirements for each university are different but most involve completing an admissions test or essay, the SAT or ACT admissions tests, and providing recommendation letters from teachers. Most universities also ask for a transcript of your grades and a personal statement. The latter is a chance to set out your aspirations and demonstrate your suitability for the program of study in question, and can be a valuable way to set yourself apart from other applicants.

Applying for postgraduate studies
To be eligible for graduate study in the US, you should have completed a bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification from an internationally recognized institution. Along with your bachelor degree certificate, you will also probably be asked to provide one or more letters of recommendation, and a personal statement or application essay. You may also be asked to submit graduate admissions test results (e.g. GRE/GMAT), and for PhD applications, a research proposal.

In the end, the university itself is responsible for making the final decision on admissions. Therefore, we recommend inquiring in advance at the International Office at the University of your Choice as to whether you meet all the necessary prerequisites.


Language Requirement

For both undergraduate and postgraduate studies you will need to provide proof of your English language proficiency, if English is not your first language. The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is the most common test considered by US universities, while the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is also commonly accepted. It’s always wise to check which tests are accepted by your chosen institutions before signing up to take the exams.
Student visas

To study in the US, internationals will need to obtain an F-1 non-immigrant visa. You can only do this when you have secured a place at an SEVP-approved university, and you’ll need to provide proof of sufficient funds for the course duration and a confirmation of your intention to leave the US after completing your studies. In most cases, you’ll be asked to attend an interview at your local US embassy, bringing your application and supporting documents with you and a solid financial plan.

If you’re a Canadian or Bermudian citizen you won’t need a visa to study in the US, but you will still need to obtain an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility form and pay for SEVIS (the student database and tracking system) registration. The non-immigrant visa application fee is currently $160 and the registration fee for SEVIS is $200.
Scholarships to study in the US
  The good news is that many of those who study in the US do so with some form of financial aid, and it’s often the most competitive and prestigious institutions that offer the most generous support. At Harvard, for example, upwards of 70% of students receive help with their fees, while at MIT, 86% of graduate and professional students receive aid. As US government aid schemes and loans are often off-limits to internationals, financial aid and scholarship programs offered by your chosen school and/or other external organizations are your best bets. This type of financial aid is usually either need- or merit-based – with the former based solely on an assessment of students’ finances and the latter taking into account academic achievements and/or other talents – or a combination of the two.

While the most generous funding packages are often found at the top end of the private sector, many public universities offer alternative support. An example is the Curricular Practical Training (CPT) scheme, which allows students with F-1 visas to gain paid, off campus internships to support their studies. Further external funding options include the Fulbright Foreign Student Program, a funding initiative led by the US Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs. Five major US universities offer entirely “need-blind” admission for both domestic and international students. This means they pledge to offer sufficient financial assistance for all students who are selected for admission, regardless of their financial situation. These five universities are Harvard, Amherst, Yale, Princeton and MIT. Please note that this does not mean your tuition fees will be fully paid, as you will still be expected to make a reasonable financial contribution.
Originality is the essence of true scholarship. Creativity is the soul of the true scholar.
Nnamdi Azikiwe
Tuition fees, living costs & funding
The one fly in the ointment of US education is that tuition fees are not cheap. Private US universities often have just one rate which applies to all students, regardless of nationality. At public institutions, international students and outof- state residents should expect to pay more than in-state students (students who are US nationals and residents of the state where the university is based). HSBC estimates the average yearly cost of university fees in the US is $24,914. Fees towards the lower end of the spectrum are most likely to be found among public institutions, within state university systems. College Board reports that annual tuition fees at state colleges for 2014/15 average $9,139 for state residents and $22,958 for everyone else. This compares to an average cost of $31,231 at private non-profit colleges. The cheapest options of all are two year community colleges, where average fees for 2014/15 are just $3,347. However, these institutions usually only offer associate’s degrees – you would need to go elsewhere to complete a full bachelor’s degree, masters or PhD.

All US universities are now legally required to include a fees and financial aid calculator on their websites, allowing students to get a rough idea of how much their intended course of study would cost, and what aid they may be eligible for. These “net price calculators” can be accessed via the government’s College Affordability and Transparency Center, which also provides details of the US universities with the highest and lowest tuition fees and net costs. Living costs Depending on where you decide to study, the cost of living in the US can vary considerably. Believe it or not, living costs in the US are typically lower than those seen in Australia, Canada, Singapore, the UK or France, with HSBC giving an annual average estimate of $11,651. Suburban and rural areas in the South and Midwest generally have the lowest cost of living, with big cities bringing considerably higher expenses regardless of which state they’re in. To cover living costs, international students are often able to seek work on campus, but work off-campus is restricted by visa regulations.  

“Studying is something I really love doing, and I just hope to have enough money for tuition. ”
Alexandra Kosteniuk

Working in US after graduation

A giant in the manufacturing, technology, healthcare, energy and aerospace industries, the US continues to be a significant global exporter of electronics, machinery, medical equipment, pharmaceuticals, air- and spacecraft and oil. For graduates, this means great opportunities not only to get hired, but also to be at the forefront of global innovation within your field. Your chosen career path may also affect whereabouts you choose to stay after your studies. If you’re keen to be at the heart of the IT and tech sectors, you’ll no doubt have an eye on California’s ‘Silicon Valley’, located in the San Francisco Bay Area – where juggernauts such as Facebook and Google famously flourished. Media and arts graduates, meanwhile, may gravitate towards the stage lights of Broadway or the star-paved streets of Hollywood, while hopeful politicians may be drawn to political center DC. Those with a focus on financial services may also be convinced by DC’s strong economy, or else head for the bright lights and world-class financial districts of cities such as New York, Boston, Chicago and San Francisco. After graduation, F-1 visa holders are generally entitled to stay in the country for up to one year of post-graduation practical training. In order to do this you’ll need to apply for a change in visa status within 60 days after graduation, or risk being deported. There are two types of practical training – optional (OPT) and curricular (CPT). Both can be completed either during your degree or after graduation, but must not exceed 12 months and must be in a role directly related to your field of study. Some lucky STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) students may also be eligible to extend their practical training period by an additional 17 months. There are a number of schemes for students, graduates and professionals to help make the transition into employment easier. The Fulbright Commission, for instance, offers short-term work opportunities for internationals, including internships and trainee programs lasting up to one year. Volunteer work may also boost your graduate profile, with providers such as BUNAC, Real Gap and Gap 360 providing working experience on ranches, national parks, constructions sites, summer camps and more.Europe’s largest economy and most industrialized nation, Germany


Meet the Team!

Our qualified team is always there to help you out.

  1. Nehel Banduka
    Nehel Banduka
    Bryn Mawr College Dept. of Economics
    Ms. Banduka is not only a brilliant student but also brilliant speaker and actress. She has many national and international awards to her name and has left her victory marks also in Harvard.
  2. Usman Beg
    Usman Beg
    Northern Illinois University Department of Medicine
    Nothing is more creative, nor destructive, than a brilliant mind with a purpose. The quote perfectly describes the most creative guy of our team.